Thursday, September 1, 2011

The most accurate way I can describe depression


Imagine you’re alone in a movie theater. You can feel the vast emptiness of the unoccupied seats surrounding you, but there’s also the confinement as if you’re sitting in a closet. The air conditioning is working at full power; all you’re wearing is shorts and a t-shirt. No movie is playing. Instead, it’s a loop of those awful advertisements they play before the previews. You have a large Coke and it’s flat and warm. The ground is so dirty and sticky that you’re stuck and cannot move. And the only snack at the concession stand is Jujubes.

This is what depression is like and it never seems to end.

2 comments :

  1. I enjoyed this. Amusing, yet still very true. Just remember we're both struggling through depression together, Becky. I know what it's like to feel like after so many years, I still get these downs and it's like I'm right back where I started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ben

    HIGH FIVE FOR DEPRESSION!

    I think if I ever start a charity or benefit, that's what it will be called. Because high fives are happy things.

    ReplyDelete