Thursday, February 3, 2011

This Day In History: February 3, 2007

Continuing my Week In History reminiscing my ultimate New York road trip, four years ago today, my good friend Kandas and I made an additional road trip of our own to Stamford, Connecticut. I wish I had been a bigger fan of The Office at the time so I could have taken my picture next to a city sign while I was there. But the purpose for this excursion was to partake in one of my favorite vacation pastimes. Nevermind the fact it was the first thing we did once I got to Long Island; my desire to visit cemeteries is never quenched!

We made plans to go to Stamford to visit the grave of one of my favorite actresses, Gilda Radner. She was a fellow Metro Detroiter whose biggest claim to fame was being the first cast member chosen to be on Saturday Night Live. She died of ovarian cancer in 1989 but was a strong activist for the awareness and treatment of cancer before she died. Following her death, many support centers were opened across the United States and Canada in her honor. The Gilda's Club organization is open to anyone who has been affected by cancer, whether it be directly or as a friend, relative, coworker, etc. I've volunteered at the Metro Detroit clubhouse in Royal Oak, so it felt right for me to visit her since I was already so (relatively) close.

01kandascemetery

Of course, it would have been better had there not been snow everywhere so we didn't have to wander around aimlessly trying to find her grave. But it can't be said that it wasn't a nice cemetery.

02kandaspath

Kandas finally found the grave site, with a pretty simple headstone that commemorates Gilda as a comedienne and ballerina.

03gilda

A little bear was propped up against a trellis, which I'm sure has beautiful flowers that bloom when it's not ten degrees outside.

04bear

I wrote her a letter even though I knew she would never be able to read it. And left it under a pack of gum so it wouldn't fly away. I like to think she would have enjoyed that.

05gum

Following our dead people excursion, Kandas and I went back to New York to the city of Purchase, where we met up with her friend Alison and some of her school friends. After being wildly impressed that one of them was taking a class on how to be a clown - complete with spinning plates! - we did a little mall ratting. Kandas bought me an amazing souvenir shirt at Delia*s... well, two of them, which I promptly paired up because I loved them so much.

06shirt

Even though I was starting to run on empty from driving so much (and I do mean that both in regard to my energy and my fuel supply), it was yet another fantastic day where we accomplished a lot and had fun the entire time.

No comments :

Post a Comment